We’re excited to announce that Ivy.ai chatbots can service students in more than 100 languages!
Seven reasons higher education institutions need multilingual capabilities
Universities encourage diversity and welcome students from all over the world. These students also need institutional support, but universities typically lack the resources to communicate in students’ native languages and across different time zones. Navigating higher education is complicated enough, but the additional barriers faced by these students can further impact enrollment, engagement, and retention outcomes.
By developing multilingual features, Ivy.ai aims to reduce language obstacles facing international students and ethnic minorities. Students and their families will be able to ask Ivy chatbots questions in their native languages as they apply for admission, search for financial aid, and ultimately enter the job market.
Here are some interesting statistics that drove the development of our multilingual update.
- More than 250,000 international students enroll in colleges and universities within the United States each year. These students come from all over the world and often speak languages that are uncommon in the United States. You can simplify the admissions process by providing reliable translations of admissions materials to these students and their families.
- The top five international student home-countries in the United States are China, India, South Korea, Saudi Arabia, and Canada. Four of these are non-English speaking countries whose languages are not commonly spoken in the United States. Make sure your offices have resources available to communicate in these languages as well.
- International students often struggle to find financial aid resources. Navigating private loans can prevent students from attending school. All of your financial aid resources should be easily accessible 24/7 to reach students who are completing loan applications across various time zones.
- According to a World Education News and Reviews survey, about two thirds of international alumni struggled to find career services for international positions. Multilingualism could open doors for international businesses to post on your job networks.
- This survey also notes that about 75% of international students hope to utilize OPT, and a majority of these students utilize their college or university’s career services offices. Ensure you have adequate resources to help all of your international students through CPT and OPT applications.
- According to the United States Census, more than 20% of households in the United States speak a language other than English in their homes. Some students may have parents or guardians who don’t speak English while others may feel more confident communicating in their native language.
- The United States census also recognizes that about 9% of people in the United States have Limited English Proficiency. Hence, to be able to effectively welcome a diverse population, universities must be able to communicate in multiple languages.
That’s why the Ivy bots are now multilingual! With this new update, users can select their language of choice by simply clicking the corresponding flag icon. Better yet, your team won’t have to do any extra work! We curate the correct responses from your website, then our algorithm instantly translates the answers to the requested language. Seriously, how cool is that?
To create a world where diversity is truly celebrated, educational institutions must find ways to solve language barriers. Multilingual communication platforms are a great place to start!
If you’re looking for a multilingual solution, then schedule a demo. We’ll be happy to show off our newest capabilities.